Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) Online Program
PhD Admission Requirements
The University of Arizona College of Nursing is committed to creating an academically challenging and supportive educational community of students with diverse talents, experiences, viewpoints, and cultural backgrounds. Faculty members of the College are interested in receiving applications from highly motivated students who share their passion for advancing and disseminating nursing knowledge through research. Applications are particularly encouraged from students who intend to focus their research in one of the research focal areas.
Selection is based on an evaluation of academic background, research interests, and availability of suitable faculty expertise for mentorship. Eligibility requirements include the following:
- BSN Degree, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- MS in Nursing Degree, cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above (MS-PhD program option)
- Three letters of reference attesting to the applicant’s potential to succeed in doctoral study. Letters of reference will be submitted electronically through the online application.
- Completed the online University of Arizona Graduale College Application. For Instructions (Click Here).
- Transcripts: Submit official sealed transcripts of all post secondary course work attempted and completed, whether or not it is related to nursing. Please download the Transcript Factsheet for complete instructions on submission of transcripts (Click Here).
- Computer literacy
- Applicant-Faculty mentoring match (see PhD FAQ for additional clarification)
- Additional documentation will be required if offered admission into the program.
Applicants may submit other credentials which they believe reflect their abilities. A telephone interview is required of top applicants.
PhD Application Instructions: No longer accepting applications for Fall 2014, the deadline was December 15, 2013.
When selecting the appropriate application term, please select the Spring 2014 or later option. When you select the Spring or later option you will be redirected to a page where you can scroll down and either login or create a new account to complete the application. Please de not click on the Legacy Online Application link. Once you are in the process of completing the application you would then be given the option to select the program start term of Fall 2014.
- Completed the online University of Arizona Graduale College Application by the international deadline date. For Instructions (Click Here).
- Submit a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 paper based (PB), 79 internet based (iBT), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 7 (no subject area below a 6).
- Transcripts and Degrees: Submit CGFNS documentation for nursing degrees earned outside of the U.S.A. Please download the Transcripts Factsheet for complete instructions on submission of international degrees and transcripts (Click Here).
The PhD application deadline is December 15th. Notifications of admission occurs mid-March.
For more information contact:
Office of Student Affairs
College of Nursing, Room 112
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Phone: 520-626-3808 or 1-800-288-6158