Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
PhD Admission Requirements
The University of Arizona College of Nursing is committed to creating an academically challenging and supportive educational community of students with diverse talents, experiences, viewpoints, and cultural backgrounds. Faculty members of the College are interested in receiving applications from highly motivated students who share their passion for advancing and disseminating nursing knowledge through research. Applications are particularly encouraged from students who intend to focus their research in one of the research focal areas.
Selection is based on an evaluation of academic background, research interests, and availability of suitable faculty expertise for mentorship. Eligibility requirements include the following:
- BSN cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- MS in Nursing cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above (MS-PhD program option)
- Completed College of Nursing online application including statements related to professional goals and practice interests as well as a summary of educational and employment experiences
- Three letters of reference attesting to the applicant’s potential to succeed in doctoral study
- Completed online University of Arizona Graduate College application
- Submit copies of all post-secondary electronically via
the Graduate College application. Instructions are provided. Official
copies may be required once an offer of admission is made.
- Computer literacy
- Applicant-Faculty mentoring match (see PhD FAQ for additional clarification)
Applicants may submit other credentials which they believe reflect their abilities. A telephone interview is required of top applicants.
- Submit the UA Graduate College application by the international deadline date
- Submit a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 paper based (PB), 79 internet based (iBT), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 7 (no subject area below a 6).
- Submit CGFNS documentation for nursing degrees earned outside of the U.S.A.
The PhD application deadline is December 15th. Notifications of admission occurs mid-March.
For more information contact:
Office of Student Affairs
College of Nursing, Room 112
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Phone: 520-626-3808 or 1-800-288-6158