THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
COLLEGE OF NURSING
SUZANNE VAN ORT PEER AWARD FOR TEACHING
Suzanne Van Ort, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean Emeritus, was a member of The University of Arizona College of Nursing’s second graduating class. After obtaining a Baccalaureate in Nursing at The University of Arizona, she went on to obtain a Master’s in Nursing from The University of California at Los Angeles, and she was awarded the first Doctor of Philosophy degree in higher education from The University of Arizona. She served on The University of Arizona College of Nursing’s faculty for over 20 years. From 1982 until her retirement in 2001, Dr. Van Ort held the administrative appointments of Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Interim Dean, and in 1994 was named Dean of the College of Nursing. She has received national and international recognition for teaching, scholarship, and professional service. In 1990 she was selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, and also as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Health. In 1997 she was awarded the International Founder’s Award for Excellence in Education by Sigma Theta Tau International. In 1992 the College of Nursing Faculty Council created this annual peer teaching award in recognition of her many accomplishments and contributions.
- Annual presentation of this award will be made to two faculty members showing exemplary teaching: 1) one teaching in the Bachelor of Science in nursing, Master Entry to the Profession or generalist Master’s degree programs; and 2) one teaching in the advanced specialty practice or science doctoral degree programs.
- All current faculty are eligible to nominate a peer for the award. Faculty will submit nominations which address the ways in which an eligible individual meets the characteristics for selection.
- Nominees must be a current faculty member of the College of Nursing.
- Nominees must have completed at least one year of teaching at the College of Nursing.
- Nominees must not have received the award in the past two years.
CHARACTERISTICS FOR SELECTION
- Faculty who stimulate student interest
- Faculty who demonstrate availability and responsiveness to students
- Faculty who demonstrate collegiality in terms of the teaching mission
- Faculty who utilize creative teaching-learning strategies and/or current technologies to foster student learning
- Faculty Council will solicit nominations by e-mail. Nominators will complete and submit an online nomination form available at http://www.nursing.arizona.edu/SVaward.htm.
- Nominations will be due in April at a date set by the Faculty Council.
- The Faculty Council will comprise the selection committee. Awards will be based upon the degree to which the candidates meets the selection criteria as presented in the nomination.
- The Suzanne Van Ort Peer Award for Teaching will be presented at The University of Arizona College of Nursing end-of-the semester Faculty Awards event in May by Dr. Van Ort or the Faculty Chair. Along with the professional recognition associated with this honor, the recipients will receive an engraved plaque and a monetary award.