Admission to the Master’s Entry to the Profession of Nursing (MEPN) is highly competitive and the following requirements are the minimum required to apply. The College of Nursing is committed to creating an academically challenging and supportive educational community of students with diverse talents, experiences, viewpoints, and cultural backgrounds. The College is particularly interested in students who are highly motivated and demonstrate a distinguished level of scholarship, integrity, leadership and service to others. The College seeks students who are prepared to benefit from and contribute to a rigorous and diverse learning environment and contribute to a dynamic and culturally competent health care work force.
Program options are available in Phoenix (18 admits per cohort) and Tucson (72 admits per cohort). You may choose Tucson only, Tucson Preferred, Phoenix only, or Phoenix Preferred on your application. Location preference is assigned based on admission rank. Choosing a preferred option does not increase your odds of overall admission.
Coursework and Schedule
The 15 month MEPN program is a full-time program with a highly demanding schedule. Students start coursework in May and end in August of the following year.
Phoenix cohorts take courses at The University of Arizona Phoenix Biomedical Campus located at 7th Street and Van Buren in Phoenix, AZ and participate in clinical work in the surrounding Phoenix-metro area. Students interested in the Phoenix option should attend an Application Workshop in Tucson, call 520.626.3808, or email email@example.com.
MEPN Admission Requirements:
- Completion of College of Nursing prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better in each course.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA for prerequisite courses (40% of the admission score) required for admission eligibility.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA for all post-secondary coursework completed (20% of the admission score) required for admission eligibility.
- A conferred Baccalaureate degree.
- Complete the College of Nursing online application, including two personal statements and disclosure questionnaire (20% of the admission score).
- Choose a location: Students may choose Tucson only, Phoenix only, or either location on their College of Nursing application. Location is assigned based on admission rank and on location preference.
- Complete the Graduate College application for admission to the University of Arizona as a degree-seeking student. Admission information (deadlines, applications and instructions) are available via the Graduate College. A 3.0 GPA is required for application.
- The top candidates for admission will be asked to complete an interview in-person (20% of admission score).
No standardized entrance exams are needed for the College of Nursing Program admission or Graduate College admission.
Additional Application Steps:
Application Deadline for the MEPN
- The MEPN program requires all prerequisite courses and a non-nursing bachelors degree be completed, and posted on transcripts, prior to the application deadline. Selection for interviews occurs within one month of the application deadline. Final admission notification occurs two months after the application deadline.
- Please note the change in the admissions deadline starting for the 2015 program start.
- January 15 for May 2014 start
- October 1 for May 2015 start and later
- October 1, 2014 for May 2015 start
- October 1, 2015 for May 2016 start
For more information contact:
Office of Student Affairs
Location: College of Nursing, Room 112
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Phone: 520-626-3808 or 1-800-288-6158
Accreditation and Affiliations
The University of Arizona College of Nursing is nationally accredited by
the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education,
the Arizona State Board of Nursing,
and affiliated with
the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the Western Institute of Nursing.
The University of Arizona College of Nursing has been recognized for the outstanding work our of faculty, students, staff and alumni. Below are some of our recent awards.